Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Small Groups

Northwoods is on a small group campaign to get as many people involved in a small group to help everyone understand the upcoming series, "No Ordinary Life." It is also to help people get connected in a small church. Due to my basketball coaching responsibilities, I cannot host a group of my own, but I have finally decided on a group from Washington. I'm very excited and looking forward to what this series and small group has to offer me, a baby Christian. Is someone a baby Christian after a year? I still feel like I am. I know I have grown very much in my faith and my walk with God in the past year, but there are times when I feel like I've fallen away from God when I shouldn't have, said things I shouldn't have, done things when I know there is better choice. I'm trying to get past the "good enough" mentality. Being a recovering perfectionist, I feel that this is a struggle for me. But I'm working on it.
These days I attend classes at church, volunteer with the Sunday school kids, spend time coaching softball or basketball. My days are spent teaching where I never sit. There is never a dull moment, and if there is I clean, read, or work out. Or write. I love to write and that is when my true feelings come out.
So it was in 2008 that I started to go to Northwoods. Not regularly at first. While I enjoyed it, I always waited for my friends to ask me. That continued for about four months. Off and on catching Cal's messages. The more I heard Cal speak, the more I wanted to hear. In December of 2009 I volunteered in Discoveryland, the Sunday school rooms. I'm not sure why. I guess I wanted to feel a part of something. Besides I love kids. There were 6 or 7 programs, and I helped out on a Saturday. It was organized for sure, but to me it was chaotic! There were SOOOO many kids! It was fun for sure, but I was shocked. Within a week or two, I had put my name in to be a volunteer in Discoveryland. I really didn't know what I was getting myself into. So I went to a training in order to volunteer. Because of the number of people, the kids wore name tags with numbers, etc., so they could be claimed by the right people. There were many regulations and safety precautions, and the organization of it all and the complexity of it all scared me. I told the lady I wasn't ready...

No comments:

Post a Comment